Friday, August 18, 2006

Montreal Report - Round of 16

Gogo123, a smart guy, yesterday went to the Rogers Cup, a little disappointed by the withdrawals during the day. Bu now, Let's read his report:

"I finally decided to go today to the Montreal tournament. After all the withdrawals before the tournament, I wasn't as excited as I was a couple of months ago. I chose the round of 16 as the top players will (what I thought) start playing against each other. I bought my tickets yesterday before the night session thinking that Clijsters has a 99% chance of getting to the next round. Too bad for her and me (and all the people that wanted to see her) that she got injured. Hope she gets well soon.

Anyways, I woke up today and pulled myself from bed to get to the tournament site. Dinara Safina and Shenay Perry's match was already underway. I decided to go to watch it during the second set as I went looking for players on the training courts. I saw Ivanovic and I think that made my whole day at the tournament worthwhile. I dont know what is it about her but she has a special charm that just makes you like her instantly. And she is just . I also saw Mirza, Dulko and a couple of other players that I dont really remember now .

Next I went back to the Safina-Perry match at 5-5 first set. Not really an interesting match but I sat through it waiting for Kuznetsova to come on. Soon enough the match was over and Safina won.

I took another tour on the training courts where I saw Myskina hitting with Kirilenko, and Vadisova hitting some serves (she looked huge even from a distance...this surprised me as all the other players I have seen so far were of medium height; Ana didnt look that big even as she walked just by me).
The Kuznetsova-Sugiyama was about to start so I went back to the court to take my seat. Kuznetsova was playing very well in the first set. Hitting some very good forehands and just had complete control of the match. At 5-2 Sugiyama called for her coach and from what I saw after that, her coach probably told her to hit everything to Sveta's backhand. Sveta was inconsistent in the second set having a couple of good games but doing enough not to get broken. There were some good points played by both players and Sugiyama was c

No comments:

Terza di Copertina.

"Cementi di Gloria" è l'opera prima di Paolo Ricaldi, aka Mr. Pemulis, che nell'estate 2007 ha girato in lungo e largo i tornei di preparazione agli Us Open - il c.d. minicircuito chiamato Us Open Series - è tornato sano e salvo, anche se un po' intossicato di Tennis, e ci ha raccontato quanto visto, sentito e percepito nel Nuovo Mondo.
In questo reportage, che è un viaggio picaresco nel nordamerica, intorno al "vuoto" dello showbiz, l'autore alterna con grande potenza espressiva cronache sportive esilaranti, pagine di letteratura minimalista, storie surreali, incubi metropolitani abitati da personaggi dai nomi improbabili e aneddoti irresistibili; e lo fa utilizzando una vasta gamma di registri, che vanno dal comico al noir. Ne risulta un inno sghembo al tennis e alla vita in generale, che fa' di Ricaldi, la "next big thing" del panorama letterario mediterraneo.