Thursday, September 21, 2006

Deea’s doodles from Bucharest (part 2)

Time for my report
Yesterday I took my sister with me at the tournament. She isn't a big fan of tennis but enjoys it too from time to time. So we were heading for central court for Serra's match when we passed by the training courts where I saw Pavel practicing. We didn't stop until I noticed a blond guy practicing with him. I stood in shock a bit and then started screaming to my sister: OMG OMG, that's Tursunov!!! I was very happy because I didn't see Dima's match against Waske. So of course, who cared about Serra anymore???? We remained watching Dima's practice and took loads of pics. He was so funny when he was getting mad. He always yelled: Shit! Shit! But Pavel wasn't very calm either...once he got so mad that he threw his racquet into the fence. He couldn't use it after that. And Dima was always saying: Calm down man, calm down, it's going to be ok! After the practice I took my chance and got a pic with Dmitry. Needless to say I was really happy! I wished him good luck in his next match and promised I'll cheer for him. Poor Dima, he was assalted after his practice finished. Everybody wanted a pic, an autograph...but he didn't seem to mind all the attention.

Okay, so we finally got to central court where we saw the last 3 games of Serra's match...can you say boooooring??? But the next match was really exciting. Gilles Simon vs Jurgen Melzer. Though 3 setter, won by Melzer. He was driving poor Gilles mad with his dropshots. And Simon was always screaming and mumbling to himself. But he was so cute when he was doing that. A friend of mine, who was with me at the match said: "I wish I had a French friend so I can piss him off like that!!!" The truth is that Simon was really funny and got the sympathy of the crowd. Everybody was yelling Allez Simon!!! Allez Gilles! or simply Allez!!! There was a funny moment. While everybody was screaming the Allez's, all of a sudden a guy finds himself screaming Gooooooo Jurgen!!!! Everybody started laughing, including Melzer.
After that, we saw Mayer vs Roitman. Again, not very interesting. But the Argentinians came to cheer for Roitaman and as we were very close to them I started taking pics...about 30 minutes until one of them noticed me. And he told the other guys...I turned deep red as all of them started looking and smiling at us! Oh yeah, Mayer won in straight sets.
I had to go after this match and while me and my friend were heading to the exit she bumped really hard into Alexander Waske! He smiled at her and said Sorry...after that my friend was totally: OMG, who was that guy??? did you see what blue eyes he had??? I was LMAO of course. That's about it... Pics coming soon.
New report time...Thursday (I didn't have time to do it yesterday)
First match of the day, Paulo kicked Victor Crivoi's ass. 2 straight sets 6-1 6-1!!! I didn't see the whole match, just the second set...and Paulo was like totally on fire. Well, except that moment when he almost twisted his ankle. Thank God nothing serious happened. PHM is really loved in Bucharest. I mean, even though he was playing with a Romanian, half of the crowd was cheering for him. And that's really something!
The most awaited match of the day was of course, Pavel vs Moya. The atmosphere was absolutely fantastic. The stands were full. It was like a final. I don't think they are going to be as full in the final this year. Of course, Andrei got all the support...well, almost! There was this lady who was a big fan of Moya and kept yelling VAMOOOS!! She was sitting right next to us and angry looks were coming from everywhere. Unfortunately, as all of you already know all the support and cheering didn't serve Andrei very much. He lost in straight sets... After the match more than three quarters of the spectators left...it was kind of disappointing and sad, but Dima's match was next so of course I wasn't going anywhere.
Dima didn't start his match against GG Lopez very well...actually during the whole first set he was kind of struggling. Well, he came back and won the second one. And oh boy, the third set was fantastic. Awesome shots by both players. Especially strong forehands. Dima has such an amazing forehand. GGL's isn't bad either! The crowd was kind of divided...some cheered for Dima, some for GGL. Of course, there's no need saying who we cheered for, right? Oh man, to the end of the match we were screaming really loud!! I did something stupid though...at one moment the girls started talking about Igor and how bad that he didn't come this year...and in the very next moment, instead of yelling DAVAI DIMA, I shouted DAVAI IGOR!!! Of course the girls were laughing their asses off and I turned deep red. I couldn't believe what I said! To the great sorrow of all of us, Dima lost... But he was very nice as always and gave autographs to all the kids, even if he lost.
We waited for him until he came out of the locker room wished him good luck in the Davis Cup against USA and asked him to come back next year too. And bring Marat with him, if possible. He laughed and said he'll see about it!
Today mini-report...
Well, I saw the last few games of Serra vs Mayer. Florent won in straight sets. And Mayer got really pissed in the tie-break of the last set. He smashed his raquet... well, I can't blame him. He did a few stupid mistakes.
After that we watched in the burning sun (oh man, it was soooo hot ) PHM vs GGL. It was an interesting match. It started terrible for GGL, because Paulo was leading 5-0 in the first set. Very good shots from Paulo. He seems to be in form! I hope he wins the tournament. In the second set the situation was far more equal. GGL's forehand produced great winners. But Paulo didn't choke!!! Thank God! And won 6-1 6-4! There was a funny moment...some people kept moving through the stadium, even if play started and Paulo was serving. He saw them.....waited...waited some more....and finally burst: SITTTTTTTT!!!! He was really funny!!!
Because of the strong sun I got a headache and couldn't stay for the last matches
Okay final report...the BIG FINAL.
Before the singles final today a demonstrative match took place. A very interesting mixed doubles match between M.Bahrami/Virginia Ruzici (former RG winner) and Ilie Nastase/Raluca Olaru (a very promising Romanian junior) they certainly had a blast. Nastase and Bahrami are soooo funny! You should have seen them..."Come on Bahrami!!!"..."No!!!! You come on, Ilie!!"
After that the big final begun. The match was very exciting from the beginning. Both players were hitting the ball really great. But Meltzer concentrated better in the more important moments and won the first set 6-1. But believe me; it wasn't as easy as the score shows it. The second set was more equal...no breaks until 5-5. Wonderful play from both players. Volandri's game was really spectacular, but unfortunately he was making too many risky shots. And that cost him in the end. His serve started going wrong at 5-5...he got broken and then Jurgen served out the match and therefore the title! The first title of his career. He played very well through the whole week. My favourite was the match against Simon, even though I wasn't happy that poor Gilles lost. Congrats Jurgen! Even though I was cheering for Fillipo!

No comments:

Terza di Copertina.

"Cementi di Gloria" è l'opera prima di Paolo Ricaldi, aka Mr. Pemulis, che nell'estate 2007 ha girato in lungo e largo i tornei di preparazione agli Us Open - il c.d. minicircuito chiamato Us Open Series - è tornato sano e salvo, anche se un po' intossicato di Tennis, e ci ha raccontato quanto visto, sentito e percepito nel Nuovo Mondo.
In questo reportage, che è un viaggio picaresco nel nordamerica, intorno al "vuoto" dello showbiz, l'autore alterna con grande potenza espressiva cronache sportive esilaranti, pagine di letteratura minimalista, storie surreali, incubi metropolitani abitati da personaggi dai nomi improbabili e aneddoti irresistibili; e lo fa utilizzando una vasta gamma di registri, che vanno dal comico al noir. Ne risulta un inno sghembo al tennis e alla vita in generale, che fa' di Ricaldi, la "next big thing" del panorama letterario mediterraneo.